See Our Top Picks For The Best Curling Irons Of 2019
For some of us, easily creating a smooth, shiny head of dazzling curls in just a few minutes is almost an impossible fantasy only heard of in Disney movies.
Luckily, getting natural-looking, salon-quality curls is achievable as long as you use a high-quality professional curling iron.
The new curling irons launching this year are packed with modern technology that will nourish and moisturize your hair instead of damaging your strands with too much heat like the lesser quality tools of the past.
One of the more common issues many frustrated shoppers are running into is figuring out which quality curling irons are actually worth the investment.
After all, you definitely don’t want to waste your time and hard earned money on anything that will leave you with split ends and dried-out hair. And you want to make sure your curler is effortless to use and only takes a few minutes to create your perfect style — no matter your hair type.
After reviewing various criteria and determining which factors were most important, we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 curling irons that have the right combination of technology and ease of use to make it super simple for anyone to be able to create bouncy, long-lasting curls at home in just minutes.
Top 3 Things To Consider Before Choosing Your Curling Wand
Before you take a look at which curling iron we crowned with the highest ratings, consider the following before choosing the right hot tool for you.
1. What Is Your Hair Type & Texture?
Curling irons are great styling tools no matter what type of hair you have. Here’s how to tell which of the main types of hair texture you have:
- If your hair is flat, on the thin side and limp, you have fine hair
- If your hair sticks up straight or if it poofs away from your scalp you have thick, textured hair
- If your hair is anything in between, you have medium texture
2. What Is Your Experience With Other Curling Irons?
In order to make sure your new purchase is everything you want it to be and more, go back through your previous experiences with curling irons and try to remember what you liked and didn’t like.
Did ceramic take way too long to heat up? Was a 2-inch barrel width perfect for your length and desired result or were your curls a little bit looser than you would’ve liked?
Many times bad hair experiences leave us with an “I’m never doing that again” outlook, but instead you can learn from the mistake and improve upon it making sure that eventually you are able to achieve glossy, smooth waves whenever you want!
3. What Is Your Overall Hair Health?
If you dry your hair frequently or get a blowout at the salon more often than you’d like to admit, chances are your hair might’ve already suffered from some damage. If you’re in it for the long haul with your natural color and stick to air drying more often than blow dry, your hair is probably in pretty good condition and you can use higher temperatures with faster heat transferring metals.
Here Are Our Picks For The Best Curling Irons Of 2019
Our research experts looked at price, product performance, heat up time, and customer reviews to help you make the most informed decision when it comes time to buying the right curler for you.
#1 – SRI Perfect Curl
Our reviewers reported that the SRI Perfect Curl from the science-based Skin Research Institute is great for those who have trouble curling their hair or want to get out of the house with red carpet curls in just a few minutes.
The amount of positive reviews and glamorous results enjoyed by everyone regardless of styling experience catapulted this product to number one.
The tourmaline-infused barrel of the Perfect Curl uses a semi-precious crystal to stop positive ions that create static and frizz. And because it has a ceramic coating, it evenly distributes heat which reviewers noted left them with shiny, smooth curls that lasted for days.
The point and handle are both double insulated so you don’t have to worry about sizzled fingertips. And the tapered shape makes any style achievable.
Most products of this caliber range fall in the $300+ price point so we were extremely pleased to see SRI managed to keep the cost somewhat affordable, especially with the generous First Time Customer Discount they offer new buyers.
- Tourmaline barrel with ceramic coating leaves hair shiny and frizz-free
- Easy-to-handle lightweight design made styling fun and quick
- Advanced heat technology resulted in healthy, smooth hair
- Negative ion technology eliminated any frizz or flyways
- 4 Powerful temperature settings quickly set curls – fastest on the market!
- Customer service team was extremely well-trained and friendly on the phone
- One of the more affordable professional quality tools we came across
- Only available online
- Sporadically on backorder
#2: Harry Josh
This is a tremendously high-end product that we have come to love despite a few shortcomings. The soft ceramic composition took a while to heat up and some customers even found that after extended use the metals seem to wear down a little bit and grow soft. Besides that and the expensive price point, the beautiful teal color and huge customer following earned this beauty our number two highest rated curling iron.
- Uses larger heating plate for even heat distribution
- Harry Josh, stylist to Gisele Bündchen designed it himself
- Classically chic mint green aesthetic
- Very high price point, only recommended for professional stylists or serious shoppers
- Temperature dial had minimal range only for fine hair
- Customer service team was very haughty and did not respond to all inquiries with courtesy
#3 ISO Beauty Twister
Coming in at #3 is the funky printed Twister wand from ISO. This comes with a safety glove as well as dual voltage so it works abroad in a variety of outlets. The tourmaline ceramic composition creates a smooth shine that many customers were overjoyed with and remarked upon the fast heat up, even for those with long hair.
- Comes equipped with a safety glove for added protection
- Composition includes ceramic-tourmaline which created soft, shiny curls
- Fast heat up and styling duration, even for long-haired users
- Dual voltage
- Shipped quickly
- The strange barrel designed proved rickety and often came off even after just a few months of owning
- The cord was a little long and users found themselves getting tangled up during winding
- Customer service team was average
#4 GlamPalm Curling Iron – Corlioliss
Our #4 choice didn’t have the unanimous amount of customer reviews as many of our other picks did, but this device comes packed with cool features like the styling motor so you don’t even have to worry about the wrapping! It winds your hair for you in seconds and has a fast heat up complete with negative ion technology for healthy-looking hair.
- Motorized style winder does the curling for you and results in gorgeous waves
- Advanced heat up technology resulted in healthy-looking hair
- Dual voltage
- Helpful customer service team who also provided styling tips
- The motor appeared to break after a few months of use
- Shipping took much longer than any other company
- Hair seemed to grow slightly more brittle and prone to breakage after extended use