Why Are These Styling Irons Rated Best? Find Out in The Extended Review Below
For some of us, waking up with a smooth, shiny head of dazzling curls is almost an impossible fantasy only heard of in Disney movies. Luckily for even the most stubborn-haired of us, this Greek goddess-inspired look is actually achievable as long as you use a high-quality professional curling iron. The new curling irons launching in the current market are packed with modern technology that truly penetrate to the cortex of each individual follicle, nourishing hair rather than sucking the strands dry strands like the lesser quality tools of the past. Those older, lower-end models that flooded the scene before the new tech emerged, used harsh heating methods that sizzled the outer keratin layer causing permanent damage, giving hot tools a bad rap.
One of the more common issues many frustrated shoppers are running into is figuring out which quality curling irons are actually worth the investment. After all, you definitely don’t want to waste your time and dollar bills on anything but the ultimate hot tool. A curling iron that heats up faster than it takes to brew your coffee, smooths unruly frizz and flyways with one silky streak, and leaves your hair richer and fuller than ever before. After reviewing various criteria and determining which factors were most important, we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 curling irons that are not just capable of these three important features, but come loaded with other functionalities, 5 star reviews and ultimately, our recommendation. Before you take a look at the winning curling irons we’ve crowned with the highest ratings, it’s time to take a gander into three main considerations you should address before hitting yes on a top-notch curling iron.
1. Your Hair Type & Texture
Curling irons are great styling tools no matter what type of hair you have. You see, there are 6 main types of hair texture that you can easily determine right now.
- If your hair is flat, on the thin side and limp, you have fine hair
- If your hair sticks up straight or if it poofs away from your scalp you have thick, textured hair
- If your hair is anything in between, you have medium texture
2. Your Experiences With Other Curling Irons
In order to make sure your new purchase is everything you want it to be and more, go back through your previous experiences with curling irons and try to remember what you liked and didn’t like. Did ceramic take way too long to heat up? Was a 2 inch barrel width perfect for your length and desired result or were your curls a little bit looser than you would’ve liked? Many times bad hair experiences leave us with a “I’m never doing that again” outlook, but instead you can learn from the mistake and improve upon it making sure that eventually you are able to achieve the glossy, smooth waves whenever you want!
3. Your Overall Hair Health
If you’re a frequent hair dyer or hit the blowout salon more often than you’d like to admit, chances are your hair might’ve already suffered from some damage. If you’re in it for the long haul with your natural color and stick to air drying more often than blow dry, your hair is probably in pretty good condition and you can use higher temperatures with faster heat transferring metals.
The Top 5 Curling Irons
The chart pictured below provides a simplistic rating system for each curling iron based on customer reviews and intended product effects. The review link offers a more in-depth look at price, product performance, heat up time, and customer experiences. We hope that this will help you make the most informed decision when it comes time to make your purchase.
#1 SRI Perfect Curl – Best On The Market!
Shoppers and professional beauty experts alike rave about the new curling iron that can transform anyone into a radiant, glam mermaid princess, and hailing from the esteemed Skin Research Institute, we expect nothing less than perfect. The massive amount of positive reviews and glamorous results enjoyed by everyone regardless of experience catapulted this product to number one. Paired with a highly-trained and courteous customer service team who actually seems to enjoy educating their followers and thoroughly answers all inquiries, this is a product that aims high and scores higher in terms of customer happiness. The powerful yet gentle titanium composition and wide range of temperature settings allow this production to be a useful styling tool to anyone looking for versatile and stunning styles. The negative ion technology also saw great results as far as eliminating frizz and static even in humid or coastal climates. Most products of this caliber range in the $300+ price point so we were extremely pleased to see SRI managed to keep the cost somewhat affordable.
- Easy-to-handle lightweight design made styling fun and quick
- Advanced heat technology resulted in healthy, smooth hair
- Negative ion technology eliminated any frizz or flyways
- Powerful temperature setting quickly sets curls – fastest on the market!
- Customer service team was extremely well-trained and friendly on the phone
- One of the more affordable professional quality tools we came across
- Only available online
- Sporadically on backorder
#2 Harry Josh
This is a tremendously high-end product that we have come to love despite a few shortcomings. The soft ceramic composition took a while to heat up and some customers even found that after extended use the metals seem to wear down a little bit and grow soft. Besides that and the expensive price point, the beautiful teal color and huge customer following earned this beauty our number two highest rated curling iron.
- Uses larger heating plate for even heat distribution
- Harry Josh, stylist to Gisele Bündchen designed it himself
- Classically chic mint green aesthetic
- Very high pricepoint, only recommended for professional stylists or serious shoppers
- Temperature dial had minimal range only for fine hair
- Customer service team was very haughty and did not respond to all inquiries with courtesy
#3 ISO Twister Zebra
Coming in at #3 is the funky printed Twister wand from ISO. This comes with a safety glove as well as dual voltage so it works abroad in a variety of outlets. The tourmaline ceramic composition creates a smooth shine that many customers were overjoyed with and remarked upon the fast heat up, even for those with long hair.
- Comes equipped with a safety glove for added protection
- Composition includes ceramic-tourmaline which created soft, shiny curls
- Fast heat up and styling duration, even for long-haired users
- Dual voltage
- Shipped quickly
- The strange barrel designed proved rickety and often came off even after just a few months of owning
- The cord was a little long and users found themselves getting tangled up during winding
- Customer service team was average
#4 GlamPalm Curling Iron 1 ¼ inch
The GlamPalm was a lesser known product and we were pleased to find this under-the-radar brand. There were a few quirks about the device for instance we found that many shoppers experienced uncomfortable snagging and some were upset about the short length of the barrel but for the most part this was a great product that used a quality design to create amazingly smooth curls!
- Larger width was used to accommodate users with long hair
- Beautiful results especially for thicker haired shoppers
- Used negative ion technology to eliminate frizz
- Extremely helpful customer service team
- Shorter barrel was harder to some shoppers to grip correctly and didn’t achieve the curl that they desired
- The unique barrel design snagged on strands moreso than other products
#5 Corioliss Curlizer Dual-Spin Curling Iron
Our number five choice didn’t have the unanimous amount of customer reviews as many of our other picks did, but this device comes packed with cool features like the styling motor so you don’t even have to worry about the wrapping! It winds your hair for you in seconds and has a fast heat up complete with negative ion technology for healthy-looking hair.
- Motorized style winder does the curling for you and results in gorgeous waves
- Advanced heat up technology resulted in healthy-looking hair
- Dual voltage
- Helpful customer service team who also provided styling tips
- The motor appeared to break after a few months of use
- Shipping took much longer than any other company
- Hair seemed to grow slightly more brittle and prone to breakage after extended use